When it comes to planting a grass lawn, you have the option of using rolls, plugs or seeding. Zoysia grass, a popular warm-season grass used in many lawns, can be planted successfully all three ways. While plugs and rolls are a quicker method, seeding can be more cost-effective.
If you’re interested in growing a zoysia grass lawn from seed, here is a basic guide to help:
One of the keys to planting zoysia seed is to choose the right time of year. Zoysia grass seed will not germinate if the temperatures are too cold, so don’t plant until you’re safe from a chance of frost. Optimal timing is early or mid-spring, so the grass has enough time to establish itself before winter.
Before a zoysia grass lawn can grow and thrive, it needs a clear space to do so. Remove debris like thatch, sticks, old leaves or dead grass before you get started. It’s also important to clear away any living vegetation like weeds, so they don’t compete with the new zoysia grass for space and nutrients.
Like with all lawn grasses, zoysia grass will thrive with the right amount and type of fertilizer. One great way to prepare your zoysia lawn for success is to treat the soil with a complete lawn fertilizer or fresh compost before planting.
Once the soil is prepared, use a seed spreader to distribute the zoysia seed evenly throughout the space. Then, cover the seeds with a small layer of sand or soil, no larger than ¼ inch. This will help insulate the seeds and improve germination success.
Zoysia grass seed needs plenty of water to get started. Water regularly so the seeds stay moist for the first 14 days. Adjust your watering habits based on weather conditions: in hot temperatures, water more often to help the grass seed flourish into a beautiful lawn. However, be sure to follow local watering laws and recommendations.
By following these basic steps for growing zoysia grass from seed, you’ll be well on your way to a healthy lawn.
My experience dates back to 2002 when I obtained my degree in Economics from Kalamazoo College and then immediately went to work as a sales manager for a 72 unit, new home development in Clarkston. I am in my 22nd year of full time residential real estate sales and real estate is my number one passion!
· I earned the "Top Producer" award at Morgan Milzow & Ford Realtors from 2007-2023
· My career accomplishments to date include over 1,000 homes sold and in excess of $300M in closed transactions
· I've been voted an Hour Magazine All-Star 2013-2023, an honor only given to the top 5% of Metro Detroit Real Estate Agents
· I'm a lifelong Clarkston resident & service all of Oakland County, parts of Genesee, Livingston and Macomb Counties, and my area knowledge, professionalism and real estate expertise is unparalleled
· As a top-producing & seasoned Realtor I have a strong support staff that handles all facets of your transaction and thus creates a concierge-like real estate process that is as seamless and hands on as it can be, delivering the service you deserve! “Stress free, worry free” is our mission & mantra
· We offer an unmatched marketing plan with preferred positioning on all major Internet outlets and social media, the best in professional photography, staging, handyman services, top-notch negotiating skills, excellent communication & much more!
· In 2022 I was awarded the Clarkston Chamber of Commerce Independence Women of the Year award for excellence in business and for my community contributions. In 2019 I received the Clarkston Community Businessperson of the Year Award. I’m also proud to have served my community as the Clarkston Area Chamber of Commerce President in 2018 & 2019. I'm a past recipient of the NOCBOR (North Oakland County Board of Realtors) Distinguished Service Award, nominated by my peers
· I consistently contribute to other, local charitable causes that are close to my heart including Tree of Dreams, benefitting Neighbor for Neighbor, SCAMP and Clarkston Schools
· My resume also includes being an investment property owner, landlord, land developer and home flipper. With my experience and expertise plus my valuable connections I can also offer temporary housing to clients ensuring the most harmonious moving transition possible!